Sunday 29 May 2011

Reflection on PT

Through tracing my diet for 3 days and after that analyzing it, I felt that I have learnt a lot more about my intake of food. I realized that the food that I consume are somewhat rather unhealthy, especially my breakfast. I did not realise that I was eating breakfasts with high sugar and oil content (egg tarts and curry puffs). Also, as I have been consuming Milo as my daily form of drink as breakfast, I did not realize that I can actually have a healthier breakfast by changing my drink from Milo to tea, making it healthier for me.


I do not really consider my diet to be healthy as I tend to consume food that are high in oil content, resulting in me consuming too much fats and sodium than what is recommended for a 14-year old girl. This can be modified by decreasing the amount of deep-fried foods that I take, as well as making certain requests such as having less gravy and sauces as well as getting the skin removed for my chicken rice, etc. I also realized that I can cut down on unhealthy snacks with high sugar, salt and oil content like potato chips. Instead, I can consume healthier snacks like a muesli bar or wholegrain cereal as they contain more vitamins and less minerals and fats and definitely less salt, hence decreasing my high level of sodium intake. 


The suggested nutritional tools are useful in helping me realize just how healthy/unhealthy my diet is. It allows me to alter my diet according to whatever that I've consumed too much of and what I need to consume more of. For example, the Food Intake Assessment made me realize how much sodium I consume everyday, and how unhealthy my diet actually is. This enables me to modify my diet to be healthier and less salty before the high sodium intake takes a toil on my health. 


I feel that my suggested one-dish meal is healthy as it contains less cholesterol due to the absence of egg yolks. Also, my one-dish meal uses natural flavoring such as herbs and spices instead of MSG and salt, which is high in sodium. My one-dish meal also contains leafy vegetables that can increase my dietary fibre intake as well as my calcium intake.  


This performance task has made me realize the importance of a balanced diet and that we should all watch what we consume lest we end up having serious health problems caused by an unhealthy diet. 



No comments:

Post a Comment